Sugar and Spice and All Things Nice…October 21st, 2007
I hope you’ve all had a lovely weekend. I’m feeling much better after some well needed rest and I’ve had a nice afternoon flicking through cook books and looking up recipes on the internet for an apple cake, which I fancied making with a few of the seasonal apples sitting in our fruit bowl. None of the recipes I found were quite what I wanted so I took a bit from this one, a bit from that one, played around with quantities, and this is what I came up with. I was pleased with the result, which was lovely and spicy, perfect for this time of year.
Apple and Spice Cake
2 eating apples
200g self-raising flour
125g light muscovado sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon of mixed spice
Juice and zest of half a lemon
1. Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy
2. Beat the eggs together and beat them into the mixture bit by bit
3. Stir in the lemon juice and zest and the mixed spice
4. Fold in the flour. Don’t worry if the mixture seems stiff, the juice from the apples will loosen it up as it cooks.
5. Peel, core and dice the apples and fold them into the mixture
6. Line a small cake tin with grease proof paper and fill with the mixture.
7. Bake at 180c for 40-45 minutes.