In the Bag: Cooking the Month of JanuaryJanuary 9th, 2008
It’s a brand new year and we have a brand new bag for you to start it off with. I hope you’re looking forward to the challange!
But firstly let me tell you about a couple of changes. Cherry has decided to move her food blog over to her main blog, Tales from Pixie Wood, as she doesn’t blog about food as much these days. She has therefore decided that it’s best if she withdraws from hosting the ‘In the Bag’ event, so Scott and I are going to take it forward, taking it in turns to host. On behalf of both Scott and myself I’d like to thank Cherry for all her hardwork on this event, and for helping to make it possible.
Secondly, we found that by making sure that all 3 of our ingredients in each bag were seasonal we were coming up with some mixes that were rather difficult to put together in one coherent dish. We’ve therefore decided to choose 1 seasonal ingredient with 2 others that are likely to be ‘staples’, such as potatoes or rice. Having said that, there may be months where we find 2 or 3 seasonal ingredients that we think will work well together, in which case we’ll put them in the bag. We hope you like this change and that it means more of you feel able to participate.
So, onto the goodies in the bag this month. They are
Pears – in season!
A selection of nuts – pick a handful of whichever ones you fancy
All you need to do to enter is to create a dish using these ingredients, then post about it on your blog or website and drop me an email.
Send an email with ‘In the Bag in the subject line to asliceofcherrypie AT yahoo DOT co DOT uk by Thursday 31st January with the following information:
the name of your blog or website
a link to your post
the name of your dish
a picture of your dish
Here are the loose rules – but ultimately remember the objective is to have fun whilst highlighting seasonal food:
1. Participants should attempt to use all the ingredients ‘in the bag’ for that particular month, but may leave one out if they prefer. The dish should be based around the seasonal ingredient, rather then just including it as an afterthought.
2. Participants can include any “extra” ingredients that they see fit.
3. Entries should include a link back to the host for that month, and the post should be tagged “In the Bag”.
4. Entries can be written any time during the month, as long as the URL is emailed to that month’s host before the closing date.
5. Particpants from outside of the UK are most welcome to join in and substitute an item from their own local seasonal produce if necessary.
That’s all! Any deviations from the above are at the discretion of the host. Have fun!
‘In The Bag’ is a food event run monthly by ‘A Slice of Cherry Pie’ and ‘Real Epicurean’.