I couldn’t resist these tiny pumpkins when I was at the farm shop at the weekend. They made perfect starters, stuffed with cheese and bacon, and they had much more flavour than the larger pumpkins; buttery and nutty, with an almost chestnut-like taste.
(quantities depend of the size and amount of pumpkins so this is just a guide)
2-4 small pumpkins (1 per person)
1 round of camembert cheese
1 or 2 rashes of bacon
Leaves from a sprig or two of thyme
Parmesan cheese for grating over
1. Cut the tops off the pumpkins and scoop out the seeds and fibres
2. Chop the bacon and lightly fry it
3. Cube the camembert and toss it with the bacon and thyme, then stuff the pumpkins with the mixture
4. Bake at 190c for 35-45 minutes
5. Sprinkle over grated parmesan cheese before serving
These look great, but I'm vegetarian… what do you think would be a good flavor substitute for bacon?
Thanks everyone x
Msmnificent – hmm, well you could just use the camembert on its own or to add the flavour you how about adding fried mushrooms?